Support Groups of the Community
Support groups are organizations of people who share a common challenge, who meet together to discuss their experiences, share ideas, and provide emotional support for one another. Usually a support group is led by a member who has had some training in facilitating group discussions.
Listed here are a variety of local support groups for reference:
1. CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUPS
- Rest support group (for the Hope church community) Every 2nd and 4th Monday at 11:00 am at Hope Church
- The 2nd Tuesday of the month from 12:30-1:30pm at the Day Center of Evergreen: 55 West 16th St. conference room
- The 4th Tuesday of the month from 12:30-1:30 pm at the Day Center of Evergreen
- The 4th Tuesday of the month from 3:00-4:00 pm at Fellowship Reformed Church on 168th St
- Grand Haven: Second Reformed Church library -1000 Waverly Ave. Park on Despelder St. for easier entrance to class. 3rd Tuesday of the month 6:30 pm contact Susan Thorpe 248-310-2312
- Support group for caregivers at the Little Red house in Spring Lake. It is an adult daycare place but also offers a Caregiver support group. Every Thursday from 10-11 am. 311 E. Exchange Street, Spring Lake. Phone: 616.846.5720.
2. BEREAVEMENT GROUPS
- Hospice of Holland- varied topics and times for adults and children. Call 396-2972
- Grief Share groups at Central Wesleyan Church every other Tuesday evening at 7 -8:30pm call Susan at 392-7083
3. MENTAL ILLNESS GROUPS
- DBSA – Depression, Bipolar, substance abuse, anxiety and mood disorders First and Third Monday of every month from 7-9 pm at St. Patrick’s Family Center located at the corner of US 31/N Beacon Blvd and Columbus in Grand Haven. Family members and friends welcome. Adults 18 and over. Contact Helen at 616-844-0927
- Balanced Life Support Group meets 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month – 6:30 pm-8 pm Saint Francis de Sales Parish Office Building- for family and friends of persons with a mental illness. Contact Sheila Klemm at 616-481-3959
4. GENERAL AND WIDOW SUPPORT
- Mens breakfast group on Tuesdays at 8am at Russ’ north
- Mens breakfast Wednesday group at 6:45 am at Russ’ north
- Widows breakfast for women at IHOP at 9am on last Friday of every month
5. CANCER SUPPORT
- Witness to Hope – the 3rd Monday of each month 5:30-6:30 pm in the library of Our Lady of the Lakes. Park in office lot. For cancer warriors, their support people and families.
- “Bosom Buddies Breast Cancer Support Group”. We meet the first Thursday of each month from 7-8. We usually don’t meet the months of July and August. We meet at The Celebration Center 102 Walnut St, Holland, MI 49423. It is at the corner of Walnut and Chicago Dr., 3 blocks east of Russ’. Those interested can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 616-355-3871.
6. DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP
- Holland Hospital 1st Thursday of the month 6-7 pm Conference Rooms
7. PARKINSON’S SUPPORT GROUP
- Call Evergreen Commons for the latest dates and classes 396-7100
- PFLAG Holland/Lakeshore (parents, families, friends of lesbians and gays) Located in Holland ~ Contact: (616) 399-2161 email@example.com. Meetings are held on the 3rd Friday of every month 7-9 pm at Grace Episcopal Church ~ 555 Michigan Ave, Holland
- GRAND RAPIDS: LGBT Support Group- Trinity United Methodist Church, 1100 Lake Dr., SE. 2nd Tuesday, 7–8 p.m. Jill Granger, 616.308.7575
- GRAND RAPIDS: St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, 3334 Breton Rd., SE 2nd Thursday, 10–11 a.m. Theresa Wilson, 616.301.2000
9. DIVORCE CARE SUPPORT GROUP
- Every Sunday 11:30 am-1:30 pm Room 115 a 13 week program begins mid Jan and mid Sept, Beechwood Church 895 Ottawa Beach Road Holland. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Also check out DivorceCare.org for more information.
~Ginger Clark, Parish Nurse, R.N.